Sessions 2017 – The Accessibility Conference
Becoming A Catalyst for Inclusion – Call for Presentations
- Submission Deadline: Friday, February 3, 2017
- Submit a Presentation Proposal
- Jump to the Presentation Wish List from Attendees at the 2016 Accessibility Conference
As the deadline set by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) for full accessibility in Ontario approaches, efforts to promote accessibility and inclusion within the institutions and organizations that make up the social and economic life of the province need to intensify.
This inclusive transformation will require the efforts of dedicated individuals both inside and outside of provincial organizations, leading and influencing others and hastening the pace of change. But how can people become agents of change? What skills and abilities do they need to be successful? And how can organizations nurture them and maximize their impact?
The organizing committee for the 2017 Guelph Accessibility Conference is extending an invitation to presenters who have successfully created and fostered a culture of accessibility in an organization or have trained others to do so. Tell us how you accomplished this and what tools and strategies people need to become catalysts for inclusion in their own organizations.
In addition to presentations related to the Conference theme, the Organizing Committee is, as always, interested in presentations related to the AODA Standards, Web, document, and media accessibility, adaptive technology, disability research and accommodation, inclusive design, accessible teaching and learning, and national and international accessibility issues.
- See the Wish List. Attendees at the 2016 conference requested sessions on these themes and topics. (This is a wish list and presentations for 2017 are not limited to this list.)
- See who attended the 2016 Accessibility Conference
- Priority will be given to presentations that provide attendees with a framework to move from ideas to action.
- The Organizing Committee welcomes persons with disabilities both as presenters and participants.
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 3, 2017
Submit a proposal using the online submission form
Wish List of Sessions
2016 Conference attendees gave us the following suggestions for future sessions and presentations. Presenters are welcome to address any of these topics but they are also not limited to them. The Accessibility Conference Committee will consider any serious session proposals related to the AODA Standards, Web, document, and media accessibility, adaptive technology, disability research and accommodation, inclusive design, accessible teaching and learning, and national and international accessibility issues.
**This is a wish list – all other suggestions and proposals accepted.**
- mobile accessibility, Inclusive Design, accessibility of user-generated content, web apps for the hearing impaired, accessible ARIA applications, website testing…
Assistive Technology (AT) and Alternative Formats
- copyright and alternative formats, creating accessible STEM materials, accessibility developments in the educational publishing sector, hands-on AT demonstrations, recent developments in AT, addressing AT abandonment, improving post-secondary student access to AT…
Post-secondary Disability Accommodation
- dealing with disclosure, accommodating students with mental health issues, dealing with the challenge of rising caseloads, negotiating complex accommodations, post-secondary transition issues, best practices for examination centres and note-taking support…
Workplace and Institutional Accessibility
- contradictions between regulatory obligations, client needs and accessibility, how to promote or propel workplace accessibility, role of Accessibility Advisory Committees (AACs) within municipalities, moving beyond minimum AODA compliance, effective employee accessibility training and support resources…
- accessibility barriers faced by students with disabilities, accessible classroom practices, accessibility and the digital humanities and virtual learning spaces, engaging with faculty on information and communication issues, increasing the participation of students with disabilities in STEM courses, accessibility and open access publishing…
Document and Media Accessibility
- document and media accessibility tutorials, new developments in video captioning and description, PDF accessibility checker and editing tools, emerging accessible document formats, e-book accessibility, plain language, creating accessible print media and signage…
Understanding Accessibility Barriers
- first-hand descriptions of the daily obstacles encountered by persons with perceptual or physical disabilities, how Braille, screen readers and assistive devices are used by people with visual impairments, accessibility empathy clinics…